Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Snowing Buckets

There has been this obnoxious intermittent drumming behind my building for the last half hour or so. It has been driving me crazy. Nearly 1am and 27 degrees, and some idiot is out in the street banging on an overturned bucket like he thinks he's a subway musician. Not even any good rhythms, either. Just this moronic drumroll, every minute or so.

I had my phone in hand, ready to speed dial the police, who might remember me from last summer when I kept calling about other idiotic neighbors who'd forget on a nightly basis how to disarm their car alarms, usually starting at midnight and lasting until 3am.

I decided to poke my head through my curtains to see if I could pinpoint exactly where the bucket drumroll was coming from. I wanted to make sure the cops knew exactly where they could nab this bugger.

Instead, I saw this.


And I laughed, first because it wasn't a bucket but a bucket loader that was making all that noise. And then because the truck oddly reminds me of those four-legged AT-AT walkers from the Battle of Hoth in the Empire Strikes Back. There is something very anthropomorphic in the way it shakes the bucket to get all the snow out.

When Allah gives you the strength to laugh, then Mamma, you will survive all things. - Baba Abdullah, "Abdullah and Miriam" (Maria Thomas)

And now onto the drawerings.








No comments: