Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Drawering Hands

I am embarrassed to admit that I like Deepak Chopra. He is New Age self-help for the couch potato masses. Chopra rhymes with Oprah, and Chopra is the Oprah of mind-body healing arts, running his not insubstantial spirituality empire from (where else) southern California.

Ch-Oprah teaches meditation using simple, practical concepts. This works for me. I get it when Ch-Oprah explains how my intentions have infinite organizing power using examples a 5-year-old can understand.

I like to think I prefer more poetry, more cynicism, anger and redemption, more scathing criticism, more unbridled joy in fleeting brushes with the beautiful, more longing and mystery in my deepening acquaintance with Eastern spiritual thought.

I want a love affair. Deepak Ch-Oprah offers kindergarten set to waterfalls and wind chimes. You can almost miss the cheese, especially if you don't look at his bio pic.

I let go of resistance and accept this moment exactly as it is. 
     - February, Chopra Center 2011 Mantra Calendar









No comments: